Haus am Stieg, Hamburg

Icon in new brilliance

Various phoenixes grew out of the ashes of Hamburg’s Great Fire – including the corner building in the Alsterfoyer at Jungfernstieg and Grosse Bleichen. It is one of the few impressive post-fire buildings in the city centre, whose rental space is now being modernised and restructured for workspace and retail.

Haus am Stieg Facts

Name: Haus am Stieg
Project type: Asset Management
Location: Große Bleichen 1, 20354 Hamburg
Area: 2,000 m²
Use: Office, Retail
Completion: 2019
Sale: not for sale
Architects: Art-Invest und LH Architekten, Hamburg
Place: Hamburg

HAUS AM STIEG IN DETAIL

Icon in new brilliance

The architectural icon, built between 1842 and 1844 according to designs by Peter Hermann Fersenfeldt, remains an extensive proof of how the Hanseats retained their sense of style and elegance beyond the fire disaster. Today, behind the Italian early Renaissance facade, there are about 2,262 m² of the city’s most beautiful workspaces – light and modular rooms with spectacular views of the Jungfernstieg and Alster basin.

The Architect

Hermann Peter Fersenfeldt (1786-1853) was one of the closest collaborators of the architect of Alexis de Chateauneuf, who had set himself a milestone in Hamburg’s architectural history with the Alster Arcades. Together with Chateauneuf, Fersenfeldt also designed the construction of the later main church of St. Petri.

See and be seen

The Jungfernstieg was and still is the city’s first climb. In the past it was the marriage market for virgins, because here on the solid ground of Hamburg’s first completely paved street, it was a place to stroll uninhibitedly. While in the 18th century everyone was looking for the love of their life, today the Jungfernstieg is a boulevard for other adorable objects – it is one of the most frequented shopping boulevards in the city.