Office space in the middle of Essen city centre
Otto Fürst von Bismarck represents one of the most prestigious addresses in Essen: the listed building of the railway direction has been completely renovated and will open new office space on 17,711 m² in the middle of the city centre at Bismarckplatz.
BISMARCKPLATZ IN DETAIL
Royal working environments
The service building of the Royal Railway Directorate in Essen was built in 1895 on Bismarckplatz and was completely renovated in 2010. In the course of the refurbishment work, the facades and the cross vaulting on the lower floors were modernized, a new spacious foyer was built and isolated individual offices were combined to form bright open-plan offices. While the glass front facade is reminiscent of the war-damaged central gable, the statue of Essen’s first honorary citizen underlines Bismarck’s services to the Ruhr industry.
License to steam
The first iron-clad railway in Germany was laid south of Essen in 1828 – and certainly not in Nuremberg. Only the fact that the pioneer railway was never granted a steam licence by the local railway company secured Nuremberg’s place in history as the cradle of the railway. For fear of a “speed frenzy”, the Essen authorities initially only allowed Germany’s first railway to use the proven horsepower.
The direction of the Railway is located in a central city centre location in Essen’s southern district with excellent public and private transport connections. The underground station Bismarckplatz is only five minutes away, the A40 motorway connects Bismarckplatz with the city and the entire Ruhr area. There are 297 parking spaces in the underground car park. The location around Bismarckplatz is one of Essen’s preferred office locations, alongside the city centre, and is now undergoing comprehensive revitalisation.